Soups are the perfect comfort food. Fall and winter produce such lovely root vegetables, and this recipe takes advantage of the great carrots and cauliflower that is currently available. Using sesame oil, white sesame seeds, and tofu adds a warm, nutty flavor to the soup, and the color is so beautiful!
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 4 celery stalks
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 head of cauliflower (chopped)
- 8 carrots (peeled)
- 3 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons bouillon
- 1 soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 4 ounces tofu
- white sesame seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a large pan on medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons of sesame oil. Saute onions, celery, and garlic in a pan until slightly translucent and aromatic.
2. Add in cauliflower and carrots and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add in 2 cups of chicken broth and 1 cup of soy milk.
4. Bring your mixture to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are fork tender about 10 minutes. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
5. Let the mixture cool and transfer to a blender. Add the tofu, apple cider, and dijon to the blender and puree until smooth.
6. Season with salt and pepper and top with toasted white sesame seeds.