Recipe inspiration can come from anywhere. I recently went to an autumn carnival and couldn’t resist the smells of the freshly baked pretzels. I love pretzels with mustard, and as I was eating, I realized this combination would translate perfectly into baked chicken recipe. Here is my take on Honey Mustard & Pretzel Baked Chicken.
- 4 chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup pretzels
- non-stick cooking spray
- salt + pepper
- 1 green onion (diced)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a bowl, combine egg, olive oil, salt, honey, and dijon mustard. Whisk until combined.
3. Place pretzels in a food processor. Blend until finely crushed. Combine pretzels with bread crumbs and place on a wide, shallow plate.
4. Cut chicken breasts into strips. Dip strips in the egg mixture then into pretzel-bread crumb mixture. Transfer chicken strips to a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes and flip halfway through.
6. Remove from the oven and season with salt + pepper. Top with chopped green onion.
TO NOTE: You can create an easy dipping sauce by whisking together 2 tablespoons honey, 1/3 cup dijon mustard, and 2 tablespoon of miracle whip.