I love soups. They are delicious, filling, and much easier to make than you might expect. Soups are also incredibly versatile. I think of them as a three step process.
- Base: I generally use the same base for all my soups (onion, celery, potatoes, garlic, milk, and broth).
- Emphasis: Pick 1 or 2 ingredients you want to focus on — these can often be found in the name of the soup: broccoli-cheddar, potato-leek, or cauliflower-blue cheese.
- Season: Salt and pepper and are always the first step in seasoning. From there, try adding 1 or 2 others: thyme, paprika, oregano, etc…
Here is my recipe for Uber Healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup.
- 1 large white onion (chopped)
- 4 stalks of celery (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (diced)
- 1 carrot (peeled and grated)
- 1 16 oz can of new potatoes
- 1 bunch of broccoli (about 4 cups of florets)
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of fat free milk
- 3 tsps bouillon
- 1/2 cup low-fat aged cheddar
- salt and pepper
- Prep the vegetables. Chop the onion and celery. Dice the garlic. Peel and grate the carrot. Cut the broccoli off the stem and then trim so that the broccoli florets are bite-sized.
- Spray a non-stick pan with cooking spray. Add the onion, celery, and garlic. Cook on medium heat until tender — about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrot, and 16 oz. can of potatoes to the pan. Cook for 1 minute.
- Bring the 2 cups of water to a boil in the microwave and add the bouillon. Stir until it dissolves.
- Add the water and milk to the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil then turn down the heat to medium and let simmer for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Take the mixture off the heat and allow it to cool.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Check the consistency; add more water or milk to reduce the thickness of the soup.
- Put the soup back in the cooking pan. Add the cheese. Cook on medium heat and whisk until the cheese is melted. Remove from the heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.